The C/D-class was a group of 26 destroyers built for the Royal Navy and Royal Canadian Navy in the early 1930s. As in previous years, it was originally intended to order a complete flotilla comprising eight destroyers—plus a flotilla leader as the ninth unit—in each year. However, only four ships—plus a leader—were ordered under the 1929–30 Programme as the C class. The other four ships planned for the C class were never ordered as an economy measure and disarmament gesture by the Labour government of Ramsay Macdonald. A complete flotilla—the 'D' class—was ordered under the 1930–31 Programme.
Specifications[edit | edit source]
- Type: Destroyer
- Service Period: 1932-1945
- Length: 329 feet (100.28 meters)
- Beam: 33 feet (10.06 meters)
- Draft: 12 feet 6 inches (3.81 meters)
- Displacement: 1,375 tons (Standard); 1,890 tons (Full Load)
- Crew: 145
- Propulsion: 3 x Admiralty superheated high pressure boilers, 2 x Parsons geared steam turbines, 2 x shafts, 36,000 shp (27,000 kW)
- Range: 5,870 nautical miles (10,871 kilometers) at 15 knots (27.78 km/h)
- Speed: 36 knots (66.7 km/h)
- Sensor Suite:
- Type 271 target-indication RDF
- Type 286 short-range surface search RDF
- HF/DF Radio Direction Finder
- Type 124 ASDIC
- 4 x QF 4.7"/45-caliber Mk.IX dual purpose naval guns (4x1)
- 1 x QF 3"/45-caliber 20 cwt anti-aircraft guns (1x1)
- 8 x QF.5-inch Vickers machine guns (2x4)
- 8 x 21" torpedo tubes
- 20 x depth charges, 1 x rail, 2 x throwers
Unit Run[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
C-class[edit | edit source]
- HMS Comet (H00)
- HMS Crusader (H60)
- HMS Captain
- HMS Kempenfelt (D18/I18) - flotilla leader
- HMS Combatant
- HMS Cerberus
- HMS Cygnet (H83)
- HMS Crescent (H48) - Sunk in collision with HMS Calcutta in Gironde estuary on June 25th, 1940.
- HMS Cobra
D-class[edit | edit source]
- HMS Duncan (D99/I99) - flotilla leader
- HMS Defender (H07) - Bombed and sunk on July 11th, 1941.
- HMS Daring (H16) - Torpedoed by KMS U-23 on February 18th, 1940.
- HMS Diamond (H22) - Bombed and sunk on April 27th, 1941.
- HMS Delight (H38) - Bombed and sunk on July 29th, 1940.
- HMS Diana (H49) - Sunk in collision with MV Port Fairy on October 22nd, 1940.
- HMS Dainty (H53) - Bombed and sunk off Tobruk on February 24th, 1941.
- HMS Duchess (H64) - Sunk in collision with HMS Barham on December 12th, 1939.
- HMS Decoy (H75)
[edit | edit source]
- HMCS Assiniboine (D188)
- HMCS Fraser (D189)
- HMCS Ottawa (D190)
- HMCS Restigouche (D191)
- HMCS St. Laurent (D192)
- HMCS Kootenay (D193)
- HMCS Margaree (D194)
- HMCS Liard (D195)