The Swiss Air Force (German: Schweizer Luftwaffe; French: Forces Aériennes Suisses; Italian: Forze Aeree Svizzere; Romansh: Aviatica Militara Svizra) is the air component of the Swiss Armed Forces, established on July 31st, 1914 as part of the army and in October 1936 an independent service.
In peacetime, Dübendorf is the operational air force headquarters. The Swiss Air Force operates from several fixed bases but its personnel are also trained to carry out air operations from temporary highway airstrips. In case of crisis or war, several stretches of road are specially prepared for this option.
Aircraft Inventory[edit | edit source]
Fighters[edit | edit source]
- Avro Canada CF-116 Flechette x 12 - Light Fighter
- Dassault Mirage III x 40 - Fighter-Interceptor
- Saab JAS 39 Gripen x 32 - Multirole Fighter
Transports[edit | edit source]
- Dassault Falcon 900 x 1 - VIP Transport
- Pilatus PC-6 x 16 - Light Transport
- Pilatus PC-12 x 2 - Transport
- Pilatus PC-24 x 1 - VIP Transport
Reconnaissance and Electronic Warfare[edit | edit source]
- De Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter x 2 - Photomapping