The W/Z-class was a class of sixteen destroyers of the Royal Navy launched in 1943–1944. They were constructed as two flotillas, with names beginning with "W-" and "Z-", respectively, although, like the preceding U/V-class, two of the flotilla leaders were named after historical naval figures (as had been Royal Navy practice during the inter-war years). They were known as the 9th and 10th Emergency Flotilla, respectively and served as fleet and convoy escorts in World War II.
- Type: Destroyer
- Service Period: 1943-1971
- Length: 362 feet 9 inches (110.57 meters)
- Beam: 35 feet 9 inches (10.9 meters)
- Draught: 10 feet (3.05 meters)
- Displacement: 1,710 tons (Standard); 2,530 tons (Full Load)
- Crew: 179 (225 as flotilla leader)
- Propulsion:2 Admiralty 3-drum boilers, Parsons single-reduction geared steam turbines, 2 x shafts, 40,000 shp (30,000 kW)
- Speed: 36 knots (66.7 km/h)
- Sensor Suite:
- Type 272 Target Indication RDF
- Type 282 Fire Control RDF
- Type 285 Fire Control RDF
- Type 291 Air Warning RDF
- 4 x QF 4.7"/45-caliber Mk.IX dual purpose naval guns (4x1)
- 6 x Bofors 40mm anti-aircraft guns (3x2)
- 8 x Oerlikon 20mm anti-aircraft cannons (4x2)
- 8 x 21" torpedo tubes (2x4)
- 2 x depth charge racks & 4 throwers for 70 depth charges
- HMS Kempenfelt (R03) - Sold to Yugoslavia in 1956. After refit served as Kotor. Scrapped in 1971
- HMS Whelp (R37) - Transferred to South Africa in 1953 as SAS Simon van der Stel. Scrapped Durban 1976.
- HMS Wrangler (R48) - Transferred to South Africa in 1957 as SAS Vrystaat.
- HMS Wakeful (R59) - Converted to Type 15 frigate, later a training ship, scrapped in 1971
- HMS Wizard (R72) - Broken up in March 1967 at Inverkeithing.
- HMS Wessex (R78) - Transferred to South Africa in 1950 as SAS Jan van Riebeeck Scrapped in 1978.
- HMS Whirlwind (R87) - Converted to Type 15 frigate. Lost while used as target.
- HMS Wager (R98) - Sold to Yugoslavia 1956, served as Pula after refit.
- HMS Zest (R02) - Refitted in 1945. Sold in 1969 and broken up 1970
- HMS Myngs (R06) - Transferred to Egypt in 1955 as El Qaher. Sunk in 1970 by Israeli aircraft.
- HMS Zephyr (R19) - Broken up July 1958 at Dunston.
- HMS Zealous (R39) - Transferred to Israel in 1955 as INSEilat, sunk in action in 1967.
- HMS Zodiac (R54) - Transferred to Israel in 1955 as INS Yaffo. Taken out of service in 1972.
- HMS Zambesi (R66) - Broken up December 1959 at Briton Ferry.
- HMS Zebra (R81) - Broken up February 1959 at Newport.
- HMS Zenith (R95) - Refitted in 1950. Transferred to Egypt in 1955 as El Fateh. Modernised in UK 1963-1964.